THE CITY OF UPPER ARLINGTON, OHIO SEEKS AN INNOVATIVE AND PROVEN LEADER TO SERVE AS ITS NEXT ASSISTANT CITY MANAGER
The desired Assistant City Manager candidate is an accomplished professional with depth, breadth, and diverse experience in a comparable municipal organization with a similar high-level service delivery and environment. The desired candidate offers exceptional customer service and public service focus, outstanding written and verbal communication skills, admirable interpersonal and collaborative acumen, and a profound understanding of high performing teams, traits, attributes and characteristics. This progressive leader is a skilled manager and astute leader who is able to solve complex problems or challenges and is a collaborative change agent. The Assistant City Manager will bring passion for service.
Candidates must have a verifiable record of accomplishments in service, effectiveness, efficiency, and people development, ensuring continuous service delivery improvement, process efficiency and responsiveness, and overall customer satisfaction in all areas of the organization. The Assistant City Manager should also be a resilient, self-aware professional who welcomes and values divergent perspectives, and is able to model and foster an outstanding work culture that engages and encourages people to do and be their best. Equally as important, candidates must have unquestionable integrity, honesty and a reputation as a collaborator.
The Assistant City Manager
Under the direction of the City Manager, the Assistant City Manager is responsible for providing strategic direction and support to multiple City departments to ensure that assigned department directors meet established goals and performance objectives according to approved operating and capital budgets. Similarly, the Assistant City Manager listens, understands and resolve challenges, problems or conflicts that may arise in City Government.
Strong organizational skills are required with significant management, supervisory and process improvement experience. The ideal candidate will have exceptional interpersonal and communication skills, customer service skills and the ability to work effectively with elected and appointed officials, City staff, citizen committees, business leaders, consultants and other stakeholders.
- Assists the City Manager with all duties assigned by the City Council or required by state law or local ordinance, including serving as Acting City Manager in the absence of the City Manager.
- Works with and serves as a key resource for department heads to ensure accountability, exceptional service and efficient operations.
- Works with the City Manager and department heads to identify and pursue opportunities for service and process improvements. As part of this, the Assistant City Manager coordinates data analysis across departments to monitor performance and inform residents.
- Develops and implements special initiatives, policies and procedures.
- Serves as a key contributing member of teams assembled to negotiate contracts with the City’s four labor unions, in collaboration with the City Attorney, Human Resources Director and the relevant department directors.
- Responds to inquiries and requests from key partners and constituents that include but are not limited to City Council, the media, local and regional governmental organizations, non-profit organizations and professional associations. This excludes formal public records requests, which are managed by the City Clerk.
- Provides leadership in the management of major projects and/or reviews the status of progress toward their completion.
- Develops and monitors strategic plans.
- Coordinates the activities of certain special committees of City Council and the regular revision of Council Rules and Council’s adopted Financial Policies.
- Supervises assigned staff and assists the City Manager with the supervision of other key staff. Leads, motivates, collaborates, empowers, rewards, coaches, praises, trains and instructs employees. Provides regular performance feedback, interviews applicants, recommends hiring, discipline and termination where appropriate.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited four-year college or university in Public Administration, Business Administration or a related field (a master’s degree in Public Administration strongly preferred) and six or more years of progressively responsible experience; or any combination of training, education, or experience which provides the desired knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the essential functions of the position.
Application & Selection Process
For the complete job description and to apply, please go to: //www.governmentjobs.com/careers/uaoh
- Applications are subject to Ohio’s public information laws.
- Upper Arlington is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- Position open until filled, with first review of applications on January 8, 2021.
- Questions about the position or process can be directed to Abby Cochran, Human Resources Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 614-583-5044.