First Community Village—arguably Upper Arlington’s premier senior living provider—is ready to begin its next phase of reinvestment and expansion. This latest project is to construct a five-story, 70-unit independent living building—known as The Fairfax—above a 70-space parking garage. This new building will replace 30 dated, one-story garden villas. As part of this project an improved entrance into the village will be constructed on Waltham Road, and an extensive landscaping plan will preserve the park-like environment of the property.
With approval from the Board of Zoning and Planning on April 16, 2018, the construction is expected to progress per the following approximate schedule:
- July-October 2018 – construction of new Waltham Road entrance, creek enhancements, and construction of a Waltham Road gatehouse and pavilion.
- October-November 2018 – remove and reconstruct access drive from Maxfield Drive to the south.
- 2019 – demolition of garden villas, begin construction of The Fairfax.
- 2020 – completion of The Fairfax, remove old Waltham Road entrance.
The City is currently in discussions with the developer relative to a proposed Development Agreement that would encompass both financial considerations and the level of City participation for public infrastructure improvements. Work continues to craft an outline of an agreement that would be mutually beneficial to all parties, and that would then be brought before City Council for its review. Tied to this ongoing effort is the City’s review of possible funding options for whatever level of public infrastructure improvements might be agreed upon.
- April 16, 2018 Board of Zoning and Planning Hearing– amended major site plan approved with eight conditions
- April 2, 2018 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – initial review of amended major site plan
To view documents associated with the Final Development Plans and BZAP Staff Reports, search our Archives Portal – Development Projects using the following Project Names:
- First Community*
- First Community Village