Developers of the first mixed-use development and hotel on Lane Avenue—Crawford Hoying—are readying to begin construction of the Lane II, a project previously led by J Liu of Shanghai Enterprises. In August of 2018, they received Board of Zoning and Planning (BZAP) approval of a Final Development Plan that is reflective of many months spent developing and adjusting plans based on outreach to residents in the surrounding neighborhood.
Construction for the entire project is scheduled to occur from June 2019–November 2021, with several phases of work anticipated.
The City is finalizing negotiations with the developer relative to a proposed Development Agreement for this project. City Council is scheduled to discuss a bond issuance and Tax Increment Financing legislation at its June 3 Council Conference Session. See the Public Meeting Schedule below for additional details.
Chester Road Closing at Lane Avenue
Morning of Monday, November 4
Please be advised that Chester Road will be closed to traffic at Lane Avenue during work hours beginning Monday, November 4, to allow for sanitary sewer improvements. The closures will occur between 7:30 am-4:30 pm daily, and will last for approximately one week, weather permitting.
We apologize in advance for any inconvenience this work may cause. If you have questions, please contact our Engineering Division, at 614-583-5360.
East of Westmont Boulevard:
- A five-story, 116-room TownePlace Suites Hotel facing Lane Avenue.
- Two condominium buildings behind it, along Westmont Boulevard. One building is four stories with four units, the other three stories with four units.
- Surface parking is located behind the housing units and would connect with surface and structured parking at The Lane to the immediate east of the project site.
- One single family home that was part of the original proposal will now remain in place, further expanding the transitional feel from the hotel into the neighborhood.
West of Westmont Boulevard:
Located on the west side of Westmont Boulevard, this portion of the project required the rezoning of several properties from R-1c (One-Family Residence) to Planned Mixed Use District-Lane Avenue. This phase includes:
- A five-story, mixed-use building.
- Two restaurants on the ground floor.
- 20,000 square feet of office space on the ground and 2nd floors.
- Residential units on the 3rd-5th floors.
- A 248-space parking garage wrapped by two-story townhomes to the north.
- A new access road between Westmont and Chester to the immediate north of the project.
The schedule shown below was provided by the developer team and is subject to adjustments:
- Month of June 2019: demolition of all existing structures.
- July–November 2019: relocation of utilities.
- Week of September 16: Please be advised that Chester Road will be closed to traffic at Lane Avenue beginning Monday, September 16 for approximately one week, weather permitting. This is to allow for underground utility work for the Lane II project. Our apologies for any inconvenience this may cause.
- July 2019–September 2020: Construction of the hotel on the site east of Westmont.
- November 2019–March 2021: Construction of the mixed-use project on the site west of Westmont, including the new access road between Westmont and Chester.
- March 2020–March 2021: Construction of the condominium buildings on Westmont.
- April 2020–August 2020: Westmont Boulevard and Lane Avenue right-of-way improvements.
- August 2020–November 2020: Chester Road and Lane Avenue right-of-way improvements.
Construction staging and parking will be contained within the project site during all phases of work. All construction traffic will be directed into and away from the site via Lane Avenue.
- June 3, 2019 Council Conference Session – Lane II Bond and Tax Increment Financing Ordinance. The meeting begins at 7:30 pm, at 3600 Tremont Road.
- June 10, 2019 City Council Meeting – Vote on Lane II Bond and Tax Increment Financing Ordinance. The meeting begins at 7:30 pm, at 3600 Tremont Road
To view documents associated with the Final Development Plans and BZAP Staff Reports, search our Archives Portal – Development Projects or Boards and Commissions using the following Project Names:
- Crawford Hoying*
- Crawford Hoying Lane Avenue
- Crawford Hoying Phase One
- *J Liu*
- Board of Zoning and Planning
The Lane Avenue Business Area Opinion Survey was fielded mid-December 2018 by Fallon Research & Communications, Inc. Telephone interviews were conducted with 301 randomly selected registered voters with residential, VOIP or cellular telephone numbers. The margin of error is plus/minus 5.64% based on a confidence level of 95% (i.e., if more surveys were taken, for every 95 out of 100 conducted, responses would be within 5.64% of these results).
Crawford Hoying took over as the lead development team for the project. After working closely with residents to craft a plan that would be more sensitive to the adjacent residential neighborhood, a referendum on the rezoning of several properties for the first phase of the previous plan (which underwent the public review process in 2017) was withdrawn.
- August 20 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – Approval of Phase Two Final Development Plan
- August 6 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – Review of Phase Two Final Development Plan
- June 18 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – Approval of Phase One Final Development Plan.
- June 11 City Council Meeting – Approval of the Phase Two rezoning request following a Second Reading and Public Discussion.
- June 4 Council Conference Session – First Reading/Public Discussion for the Phase Two rezoning request.
- June 4 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – Review of requested amendments resulting from the Preliminary Development Plan review process.
- May 21 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – Approval of the Preliminary Development Plan and a recommendation that Council approve the Phase Two rezoning request.
- May 7 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – Preliminary Development Plan introduced.
The initial proposal included a ground floor J Liu Restaurant and a five story Home2Suites Hotel above, with a combination of surface and a one-level parking structure providing 159 spaces in total. The proposal also required the rezoning of five residential lots to Planned Mixed-Use District-Lane Avenue.
- April – BZAP approved a Preliminary Development Plan and recommended Council approval of the rezoning request.
- July – City Council approved the rezoning request. BZAP began review of a Final Development Plan. The City received a “notice of intent” to file a referendum on the rezoning. This effort was successful and the referendum was scheduled to appear on the November 2018 ballot.
- August – BZAP approved the Final Development Plan.
- September-November – An appeal of BZAP’s approval of the Final Development Plan was filed, with City Council upholding BZAP’s decision in November.