In early March, the Parks & Recreation Department began to seek community feedback from children and adults as to what features the new Miller Park playground should offer. The surveys were available online from March 2-April 7. 72 children completed the worksheet–available at the Miller Park Library and online–and 152 adults completed an online survey. Here are a few key findings:
- Children ranked Climbing Play as their favorite activity. They also liked Spin Play, Rope Bridge, Rope Climbers, and Saucer Swings. To view children worksheet results, click here.
- Adults ranked Toddler Play as the more important play activity. They also showed a preference for a Climbing Wall as a freestanding play feature.
- Adults said that Belt Swings, Toddler Swings, and a Saucer Swing were most important.
- Adults called out Slides, Bridges, and Climbing as their favorite parts of the existing playground. Mud, mulch, and not enough swings were least favorite about the existing playground.
- Both children and adults expressed interest in incorporating elements of Nature Play into the new playground.
Now that the initial survey is complete, staff will work with DWA Recreation to develop at least three design options based on the community input received. These options should be complete in early May and 3D renderings of the playgrounds will be shared online. Residents will be invited to select their preferred option and to provide input on the initial designs. Final design is anticipated by June with demolition and replacement of the existing playground scheduled to begin in August after the start of the new school year.
DWA Recreation is also wrapping up construction of the new Reed Road Park playground. The rubber safety surface was recently installed, and work is scheduled to be complete by the time playgrounds re-open.
All updates regarding these projects will be posted to this webpage. If you have questions of comments about these improvement projects, please contact the Parks & Recreation Department, at 614-583-5300 or email@example.com.