The City’s Cultural Arts Division is excited to announce the lineup for this year’s free Music in the Parks concert series. Starting on June 9, concerts will typically be held from 7-8:30 pm at either Sunny 95 Park or Thompson Park.
Bring lawn chairs or blankets and unwind with us with some live music while enjoying refreshments from our featured food trucks.
This year’s schedule is as follows:
- June 9: Ladies of Longford, Sunny 95 Park – making a welcome return in 2022, the Ladies serve up a unique blend of Contemporary Celtic, Traditional Irish and fresh acoustic styles, and are treasured for their superb vocal harmonies and musicianship.
- June 16: Paisha Thomas, Sunny 95 Park – with a Soul and Roots blend, Thomas’ music depicts her family’s history – as a descendent of the Randolph Freed People who traveled on foot from Viginia to Ohio – and speaks to many social and racial injustices that continue to exist.
- June 23: Josh Gilbert Band, Sunny 95 Park – packing a Southern Rock/Pop, Blues and Americana sound, along with a positive, family-friendly message, the Josh Gilbert Band is often likened to the John Mayer Trio with a kick of Stevie Ray Vaughn.
- June 30: The Big Badd, Sunny 95 Park – local to Columbus, this energetic band combines the worlds of Pop, Rock, Funk and Jazz, with multiple vocalists, three horns and a great rhythm section.
- July 7: Dawna, Thompson Park South – with their eclectic combination of Roots, Rock and Blues, Dawna’s tight harmonies and dynamic musicianship combine to create a unique sound that has a modern identity while paying homage to various musical genres.
- July 14: The Mighty Troubadors, Thompson Park South – this vocally-oriented string band is known for its exciting blend of traditional and contemporary Bluegrass, unified by the common threads of acoustic settings on mandolin, banjo, guitar, violin and bass.
- July 21: NACHO Street Band, Thompson Park – combined with UA Parks & Recreation’s popular Summer Celebration event, this week’s concert features the Nacho Street Band, which is comprised of staff, families and friends of Nationwide Children’s Hospital who perform to raise awareness (and funds) for the hospital and Ronald McDonald House of Central Ohio. With a blend of New Orleans Jazz, Pop and Funk, their music is medicine for the ears.
- July 28: Red Healer (Folk/Soul) and Urban Jazz Coalition (Jazz), 6-9 pm, Mallway Park – the final Music in the Parks concert for the summer takes place at a new community event – Arts on Arlington. Enjoy performances from two bands as you visit with exhibits from UA artists, vendors and businesses, a beer garden, and sample refreshments from area food trucks.
Cultural Arts wishes to thank Pagetech Limited and the Ohio Arts Council for making this year’s Music in the Parks series possible.