At the November 26, 2018 City Council Meeting, Council approved a Resolution of Support for the 2018 Parks & Recreation Comprehensive Plan. As the New Year approaches, the Parks & Recreation Department is excited and ready to begin implementation of a number of priority initiatives emerging from this report, which include:
- Conducting a multi-generational indoor recreation facility feasibility study
- Initiating the design and construction process for replacing the Devon Pool mechanical building, as well as making upgrades to the pool deck and toddler pool
- Addressing sports field needs: Work to identify options for improving playability within the existing network of sports fields; identify potential new fields through partnerships or acquisition
- Reed Road Park improvements: field drainage improvements; replacement of the playground
- Addressing the needs of the Northam Park Tennis Courts, to include: An assessment of the tennis program, existing conditions of the tennis courts and the support building; initiating a design process for court upgrades and support building improvements, based on results of the assessment
- Mallway Park – pending Council support of the proposed Veterans Plaza project, initiate detailed design work for the Veterans Plaza and associated park improvements
- Conducting necessary repairs and upgrades to the Tremont Park fountain
- Establish standards for park furnishings and begin a phased replacement process
- Widen the sidewalk at Northam Park at the location of the new Petro Plaza, by the Northam Road park entry area
The entire Parks & Recreation Comprehensive Plan process has included extensive community engagement, and this will continue as the City begins to work on implementation. We encourage you to stay informed on next steps and to participate in next steps.
Register for our e-newsletter here.
Check here for an overview of the Comprehensive Plan process and to view final drafts of the plan document.