The arts have been alive and well in Upper Arlington for almost 50 years, thanks to the volunteer efforts of the Cultural Arts Commission and the work of our cultural arts staff in the Parks & Recreation Department.
The City has commissioned Columbus Firm Designing Local, Ltd to lead the Arts and Culture Master Plan process and to help set the standard and strategic direction for how we continue to plan for, implement and enjoy a full range of creative endeavors, from public art to cultural programming.
In the next few months, a draft report is being prepared that will provide a detailed review of all the data collected and develop an overarching vision for the Arts & Culture in Upper Arlington. We invite you to attend upcoming public meetings to learn about findings and recommendations that have emerged from the process.
Upcomping Public Meetings
- Culture Arts Commission Meeting: 6 pm, Wednesday, March 6, MSC 3600 Tremont Road. Discussion of plan, final feedback from stakeholder interviews, next steps as the Master Plan process comes to an end.
- Master Plan Open House: 4:30-7:30 pm, Thursday, March 21 at Picassos, 1974 N Mallway Drive. Join the Cultural Arts team to learn about the findings and recommendations emerging from the Arts & Culture Master Plan process and discuss with City staff and Commission members master plan goals, findings and next steps, as this process nears its end.
Past Public Meetings
- February 12 Culture Arts Commission: Discussed initial recommendations of Master Plan
- December 3 Culture Arts Commission: Met with Long-Term and Engagement Sub Committees
- Kingsdale Market District Food & Wine Friday: 6-8 pm, Friday, November 16, Kingsdale Giant Eagle Market District. Members from Designing Local and Cultural Arts shared details about the process behind the Arts and Culture Master Plan.
- Kickoff Workshop: 5:30-8:30 pm, Thursday, November 15, 3600 Tremont Road. Participants were asked to reflect on the current cultural programming in the City and share their vision for arts and culture with their friends and neighbors.
- November 9 Senior Advisory Council Presentation: Overview of commissioning an Arts and Culture Master Plan to implement and enjoy a full range of creative endeavors, from public art to cultural programming.
- August 27 City Council Meeting: First Reading and vote to support a proposal to contract with Designing Local, Ltd for a master planning process that will seek community input on what the arts should look like in UA over the next 50 years.
- August 20 Council Conference Session: Presentation to Council by Cultural Arts Staff of overview of commissioning an Arts and Culture Master Plan to set the standard and strategic direction for how the City continues to plan for, implement and enjoy a full range of creative endeavors, from public art to cultural programming.
There have been a variety of different opportunities to be part of this process, and more to come. As more public meetings regarding the Arts & Culture Master Plan arise, we will continue to inform the public here on the City’s website, through our social media pages @CityofUA and CityofUAPR and the City’s print and electronic newsletters. Below are the tools and meetings used to gather findings from community input that will be used as the final plan is developed.
- Over 140 participants gave feedback in 49 individual stakeholder interviews, eight different focus groups and community open houses. For more detailed information, click the document label Arts & Culture Stakeholder Interview and Focus Group Summary under the associated document section.
- Almost 400 participants provided input in a Arts & Culture Questionnaire or In-Depth Survey
- Opportunities to participate were communicated by the following channels:
- Activity link eNewsletter, City Insight e-newsletter, City Insight printed newsletter, Artslink Newsletter, Activity Guide, City website, UA art teachers, Wellington newsletter, Parks & Recreation Advisory Board email, City Manager’s Blog, Parks & Recreation and City of Upper Arlington Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts