You know Spring has arrived when the Fire Division performs the annual test as part of a fire hydrant maintenance program that keeps hydrants in operable condition and identifies any deficiencies that require repair.
Hydrant flushing will be weekdays, April 15-April 26 between 8 am and 6 pm. To view the district map, click the button below. The following dates are subject to change and will be updated daily is schedule changes arise.
- Districts 71-B and 72-B will be flushed April 15, 18 and 24
- Districts 71-C and 72-C will be flushed April 16, 19 and 25
- Districts 71-A and 72-A will be flushed April 17, 23 and 26
Notice of the districts to be flushed on the days provided above will also be communicated in the following ways:
- Signs reading “Hydrant Flushing Today” are placed at prominent intersections in each area before flushing starts, and removed when completed for the day.
- You can call 614-583-5115 to get information on the areas being flushed that day.
- Residents are notified via email, text or voicemail using the ALERT Franklin County notification system, at the beginning of the program.
Most residents will notice no difference in their water supply, but a few could experience water discoloration after flushing has taken place in their area. Please refrain from doing laundry on the day hydrants are flushed in your area. Before resuming laundering, partially fill washers until the water runs clear. Run a sample of water into a transparent container to check for settling or discoloration. Once the water is clear, the washer can be spun out to drain the tub for a normal laundry load. Turn on all faucets and allow water to run until it appears clear. Some may experience staining of clothes despite these notices. Clothes should be kept damp or wet to prevent the stains from setting. “Rust-removers” or “rust fighters” are carried among cleaning products at grocery and hardware stores.
Additional details about the hydrant maintenance program can be found by clicking here.