skip to Main Content

Tree Trimming Responsibilities

Our Parks & Recreation Department often receives calls from residents about trees that have been damaged in a storm or are clearly in need of trimming, wondering who is responsible for taking corrective action. Here are some basics on responsibilities and tips for securing a reputable arborist if the responsibility falls to you.

The City plants and maintains all trees in the public right-of-way. The Parks & Forestry team’s protocol is to notify residents in the immediate area in advance of any tree trimming or removal. The exception to this protocol is an emergency situation in which a tree or tree limb is posing a significant threat to health and safety, resulting from a storm, or other unforeseen situation.

For private trees that pose a safety threat, the City will notify the homeowner of the need to take action and will only intervene in an emergency situation.

If you have trees on your property that need to be trimmed, we recommend that you take the following steps:

  • Only use ISA Certified Arborists
  • Get references
  • Make sure you are provided proof of insurance and workers’ comp
  • Get an estimate first that includes the company’s name and contact information, don’t pay cash up front

If you are approached at your home by individuals seeking payment to trim trees on your property, check that they have the required Solicitation Permit from the City – a process that is in place to provide a level of protection for residents and to limit instances of interference from people trying to sell something or seek donations. Each entity wishing to go door-to-door in our community must have a current permit, which is obtained through the City Manager’s Office and is typically issued for a period of 60 days. If you are approached in this manner and they cannot provide proof of their Solicitation Permit, call Police at 614-459-2800. You can view the list of entities with current solicitation permits and learn more about the City’s requirements by clicking here.

Back To Top