This project has been in the public eye since 2016, with two previous development plans reviewed and approved by the Board of Zoning and Planning (BZAP). The developer team now includes Continental Real Estate. The proposed project would sit on a majority of the land annexed into the City to the east of North Star in 2005 as part of the City’s efforts to set the stage for economic-development focused reinvestment within the Lane Avenue Planned Mixed-Use District. Existing properties include the Darron’s Furniture building, the two-story shopping center to the east, Half Priced Books, Pizza Hut and an apartment building along North Star Road.
The latest proposal includes:
- Ground floor retail, restaurant and bank uses totaling 27,000 square feet.
- 218 apartments on the 2nd-6th floors that wrap around a seven-story parking garage with 843 spaces.
- To the center of the project, an additional five stories are designated, with 133,000 square feet of office space identified for a national financial institution.
The revised Final Development Plan was reviewed and approved by BZAP in May and June of 2018. The developers plan to annex the apartment building into Upper Arlington from Clinton Township, and the City of Columbus has indicated a willingness to dedicate the portion of Lane Avenue in front of the project to Upper Arlington.
The City is currently in discussions with the developer relative to a proposed Development Agreement that would encompass both financial considerations and the level of City participation for public infrastructure improvements. Work continues to craft an outline of an agreement that would be mutually beneficial to all parties, and that would then be brought before City Council for its review. Tied to this ongoing effort is the City’s review of possible funding options for whatever level of public infrastructure improvements might be agreed upon.
- August 27 City Council Meeting – Second Reading, Public Hearing, Vote on Ordinance # 61-2018. Ordinance approved.
- August 20 Council Conference Session – Review of Ordinance # 61-2018, the proposed Development Agreement between the City and the project development team, followed by a First Reading and Public Hearing.
- July 9 Special City Council Meeting – Motion to Dismiss Appeal Approved
Mr. Paul Kreitler of Doone Road filed an Appeal to BZAP’s approval of the Final Development Plan with City Council. The project team of Rondar Investment Partners, LLP, Arcadia Development of Ohio, LLC, and Continental Real Estate Companies subsequently filed a Motion to Dismiss the Appeal. Council voted in support of the Motion to Dismiss the Appeal, for lack of standing based on Ohio law.
- June 4 Special Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – Final Development Plan approved, with six variances and 23 conditions.
- May 7 Board of Zoning & Planning Work Session – revised Final Development Plan introduced.
To view documents associated with the Final Development Plans and BZAP Staff Reports, search our Archives Portal – Development Projects using the following Project Names:
- Arlington Gateway*
- Arlington Gateway 2
July-October/November 2017 – an amended Final Development Plan was submitted and approved by BZAP. The project was situated on the same footprint, but had been expanded to nine stories, to include 14,000 square feet of ground floor retail/restaurant, 80,000 square feet of office space on the 2nd-5th floors (expanded for a prospective financial institution tenant), and 66 condominiums on the 6th-9th floors. BZAP’s approved included five variances (two revised, three new) and 22 conditions.
February-July 2016 – a Final Development Plan was reviewed and approved by BZAP for the properties currently in use by Darron’s Furniture and a two-story mixed-use building. The project included: seven stories, with 14,000 square feet of retail/restaurant, 18,670 square feet of 2nd floor office space, and apartments and condominiums on the 3rd-7th floors., with a 271 space structured parking garage. BZAP’s approval included two variances and 18 conditions.