In July of 2023, representatives from The Barrington School (a private daycare not affiliated with Upper Arlington Schools), introduced a concept to demolish the existing two-story vacant office building at 3230 Northwest Boulevard in order to construct a two-story daycare facility.
The building would be located at the corner of Northwest Boulevard and Trentwood Road, with a retained access point along Northwest Boulevard and a modified right-out only onto Trentwood Road. It would be comprised of brick and siding with a pitched, residential-style roof, to help the building blend into the adjacent residential neighborhood while taking cues from the commercial and mixed-use buildings to the west. Two playgrounds would be located on the north side of the building.
The applicant hosted a neighborhood meeting at their location near Grandview Heights – there are several site plan alternatives relating primarily to Trentwood Road.
The project was approved by the Board of Zoning and Planning on September 20, with a series of conditions:
- That a final landscape plan be reviewed and approved by the City Forester, which includes tree protection measures of at least 10 feet and retention/enhancement of the eastern landscape buffer;
- That agreements for at least 12 off-site (non-street) parking spaces intended for employees be secured prior to opening and be maintained for as long as the business operates;
- That should an issue arise with parking lot usage (minimum of 25 parking spaces) and/or queueing, the Community Development Director may require additional off-site employee parking or other measures to mitigate the issue;
- That no bells or horns be used on the exterior of the building;
- That the proposed building be eligible for LEED® certification, with a scorecard submitted with the Building Permit application; and
- That 11 on-site parking spaces be dedicated for pick-up/drop-off only.
Demolition of existing two-story vacant office building at 3230 Northwest Boulevard and construction of a two-story child care center for the Barrington School of Kingsdale.
PUBLIC HEARING DETAILS
BARRINGTON SCHOOL OF KINGSDALE PROCESS
Board of Zoning and Planning Review and Action
- Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – August 2 – review of proposal (public comment is not typically taken at work sessions)
- Board of Zoning and Planning Hearing – September 20 – approved with five conditions (see above)
To view documents associated with the proposal, search Archives Portal – Development Projects using the following Project Names: Barrington School*
If you wish to receive updates or would like to submit comments on the proposed rezoning, please complete this email form using the subject title Proposed Fairlington Heights Condominium Project.