In August of 2019, the Board of Zoning and Planning (BZAP) approved a Final Development Plan for a proposed redevelopment of the Golden Bear Shopping Center. Led by attorney Don Plank—a member of the original development team for Arlington Gateway on Lane Avenue—the Golden Bear Redevelopment project would replace the existing shopping center and FC Bank building on the site, with a six-story, mixed-use project. The existing McDonald’s and cell tower would remain.
As part of its Final Development Plan approval, BZAP granted conditional uses for multi-family residential and structured parking. Those conditional uses expire after six months if construction or the activity/use has not begun. As a result, the applicant has applied for a conditional use extension for an additional six months.
BZAP approved this request at its February 3 meeting.
The proposed Golden Bear Redevelopment Project is for a five-story mixed-use building that would be comprised of:
- 20,000 square feet of ground floor retail and restaurant space
- 24,000 square feet of second floor office space
- 79 residential condominiums on floors three through five
- A 298 space parking garage at the rear of the building
- Traffic and site access in coordination with future ODOT and UA improvements to Riverside Drive and Fishinger Road
- February 3 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – Approved six-month extension for previously approved conditional uses.
- August 19 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – Final Development Plan approved
- August 5 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – Work session review of Final Development Plan
- June 17 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – public hearing, Preliminary Development Plan approved
- June 3 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – public hearing, update to BZAP
- May 20 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – public hearing, VOTE DELAYED until June meetings per applicant
- April 22 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – public hearing, VOTE DELAYED until May meetings per applicant
- March 25 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – public hearing, VOTE DELAYED until the May 20 meeting
- March 4, 2019 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – public hearing, introduction to BZAP
To view documents associated with the Preliminary Development Plan and BZAP Staff Reports, search our Archives Portal – Development Projects using the following project name:
- Golden Bear Redevelopment