In August of 2019, the Board of Zoning and Planning (BZAP) approved a Final Development Plan for a proposed redevelopment of the Golden Bear Shopping Center. Led by attorney Don Plank—a member of the original development team for Arlington Gateway on Lane Avenue—the Golden Bear Redevelopment project would replace the existing shopping center and FC Bank building on the site, with a six-story, mixed-use project. The existing McDonald’s and cell tower would remain.
This included conditional uses for multi-family residential and structured parking that would expire after six months if construction or the activity/use has not begun. Early in 2020, the applicant applied for a conditional use extension for an additional six months. This was approved by BZAP in February.
In April, the applicant submitted an amended Development Plan, which was denied by BZAP in June. The developer has filed an appeal to City Council. This appeal was heard and denied by Council at a Special City Council Meeting on Wednesday, September 16.
The Amended Final Development Plan proposal for the Golden Bear Redevelopment Project is for a five-story mixed-use building that would be comprised of:
- 20,000 square feet of ground floor retail and restaurant space
- 102 residential condominiums on floors two through five
- A 176-space parking garage at the rear of the building (reduced from 298), with 90 surface parking spaces
- Traffic and site access in coordination with future ODOT and UA improvements to Riverside Drive and Fishinger Road
- NOTE: The previous plan was for 79 residential units, and the second floor was designated for 24,000 square feet of office space.
- September 16 Special City Council Meeting – Appeal Hearing relative to BZAP Amended Final Development Plan
- June 15 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – Amended Final Development Plan denied
- June 1 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – Initial review of Amended Final Development Plan
- February 3 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – Approved a six-month extension for previously approved conditional uses
- August 19 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – Final Development Plan approved
- August 5 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – Work session review of Final Development Plan
- June 17 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – public hearing, Preliminary Development Plan approved
- June 3 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – public hearing, update to BZAP
- May 20 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – public hearing, VOTE DELAYED until June meetings per applicant
- April 22 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – public hearing, VOTE DELAYED until May meetings per applicant
- March 25 Board of Zoning and Planning Meeting – public hearing, VOTE DELAYED until the May 20 meeting
- March 4, 2019 Board of Zoning and Planning Work Session – public hearing, introduction to BZAP
To view documents associated with the Preliminary Development Plan and BZAP Staff Reports, search our Archives Portal – Development Projects using the following project name:
- Golden Bear Redevelopment