Each year, the Solid Waste Authority of Central Ohio (SWACO) hosts a series of collection days in partnership with local communities, enabling residents to safely rid their home of unwanted household hazardous wastes. Two dates are on the horizon:
- 8 am-1 pm, Saturday, September 23 – 3226 Kingston Avenue in Grove City
- 8 am-2 pm, Saturday, October 7 – Westerville Service Complex, at 350 Park Meadow Road
Accepted items include:
- Batteries, including alkaline, computer and vehicle batteries. Please note that batteries should always be stored in appropriate storage cases or in their original packaging so that they don’t pose a fire hazard
- Corrosives, such as acids, caustics, bleach, household cleaners and paint strippers
- Fats, oils and greases, as long as they are delivered in a tightly sealed container
- Flammables, including gasoline mixed with oil, old gasoline, helium tanks, kerosene, lighter fluid and motor oil-based paint, oxygen tanks, polishes and propane cylinders
- Reactives, including pool chemicals and cyanides, old smoke detectors, spray paint, thermotats containing mercury and thinners
- Toxics, including fluorescent light bulbs, fire extinguishers, antifreeze, insecticides, lawn chemicals and fertilizers, rat poison, and turpentine
If you are unable to make it to either of the listed mobile drop-off events, SWACO has a permanent drop-off facility at 645 E. 8th Avenue in Columbus. Hours of operation are Wednesdays, Noon-6 pm, Thursdays, 9 am-5 pm, and Fridays, Noon- 6 pm.
Click here for additional details.