skip to Main Content

The Upper Arlington Mayor’s Court serves as the judicial branch of the City of Upper Arlington. The Mayor’s Court staff (Clerk of Court and Deputy Clerk of Court) also functions as the Violations Bureau, collecting payments for violations that do not require a court appearance. The Clerk’s office keeps abreast of changes in pertinent laws and regulations, and strives to enhance day-to-day operations with all persons associated with the court.


The Mayor appoints the Clerk of Court, Melissa Kohler.

The Clerk supervises a court volunteer program to assist with the weekly court sessions. Volunteers check defendants in for court and escort the defendants from the courtroom to the Clerk of Court’s office. This dedicated team of volunteers is vital to the smooth operation of Mayor’s Court.


Your Appearance in Court
When you appear in the City of Upper Arlington Mayor’s Court, you should know your basic rights as a defendant in court:

  • To know the nature of the charge(s) that has been filed against you.
  • To know the identity of the person making the charge against you.
  • To see and read the complaint filed against you.
  • To have legal counsel represent you.
  • To have one continuance to obtain counsel or for some other valid reason.
  • To have a Jury Trial or Court Trial in the Franklin County Municipal Court where provided by law, if the demand is made.

Your Arraignment
The purpose of arraignment court is to tell you about the charge(s) against you and have you enter a plea to that charge. THIS IS NOT YOUR TRIAL. When you appear before this Court, you are guaranteed a number of rights:

  • You have the right to an attorney.
  • You have the right to a reading of the charge.
  • You have the right to enter a plea.
  • You have the right to a trial.
  • You have the right to appeal.
  • You have the right to a speedy trial.

Plea Information
In court, you will be required to answer with one of the following pleas provided by the laws of the State of Ohio:

  • Not Guilty – The plea of Not Guilty indicates that you are contesting the facts as alleged in the complaint or ticket. If you plead Not Guilty, your case will not be heard that day but will be set over for a trial. Trials in the Upper Arlington Mayor’s Court are scheduled each Thursday and begin at approximately 1:00 p.m. At your trial, the officer who issued the citation or complaint will be subpoenaed into court to testify. You may also bring witnesses to testify on your behalf.
  • Guilty – The plea of Guilty is a complete admission of guilt.
  • No Contest – The plea of No Contest is not an admission of guilt, but is an admission of the truth of the facts alleged in the complaint or ticket and such admission cannot be used against you in any subsequent civil or criminal proceedings.

If you are found guilty in the Upper Arlington Mayor’s Court you have the right to appeal your case to the Franklin County Municipal Court (link below).

  • You have 10 days (including weekends) from the date of conviction to enter an appeal.

This process is handled in the Clerk of Courts Office.

Use the search box below to find information about your case and/or to make an online payment. Please note, tickets will not display online for one-two business days. MasterCard, Visa and Discover are accepted. Payments will not reflect a closed status for two business days.

When trying to locate a traffic ticket, please only input the numbers provided. The letters “UA” should NOT be included at the beginning of the ticket number. When trying to locate a parking ticket, please include the letter “P” with the ticket number.

Please note: Proof of insurance is required at the time of payment, if you did not provide it at the time of the stop. If paying over the weekend or after office hours, proof of insurance is required by 9 am the next business day. You can fax this to 614-442-4044 or email to

Bonds may be posted at the Municipal Services Center, 24 hours a day, seven days a week, either by cash, Visa, Mastercard, or Discover:

  • Monday-Friday, 8 am-5 pm at the Finance Counter;
  • After hours with the Police Division
  • No checks will be accepted for bonds. You must appear in person to post a bond.


Request for Continuance Form – A one week continuance may be done by calling 614-583-5060 for a Minor Misdemeanor. All other violations must file a continuance in person. Fill out form completely and fax to 614-442-4044. Please note by submitting a request for continuance does not guarantee approval.

Request for Limited Driving Privileges Form – Fill out form completely and fax to 614-442-4044. Submittal of form may take up to one week for approval.

Expungement Application FormConviction – Fill out form completely and fax to 614-442-4044. A $50.00 non-refundable fee is required. Please note for a Conviction Expungement application may be submitted one year after the final disposition of the case.

Expungement Application FormBond Forfeiture – Fill out form completely and fax to 614-442-4044. A $50.00 non-refundable fee is required. Please note for a Bond Forfeiture Expungement application may be submitted one year after the final disposition of the case.

Expungement Application FormDismissal – Fill out form completely and fax to 614-442-4044.

Not GuiltyDemand For Trial Form – Fill out form completely and fax to 614-442-4044. You will be notified by mail of your court date. A request for a pretrial must have a time waiver. Please mark the following on the form:

  • I waive the reading of the complaint and acknowledge receipt of a copy thereof.
  • I plead NOT GUILTY.
  • I want my case tried within the time provided by law. (30 days from date of arrest of service of summons. Each day an accused is held in jail in lieu of bail shall be counted as 3 days from the date of arrest).
  • I knowingly and voluntarily waive my right to trial within the time provided by law and I request the Court to notify me as to when my case will go to trial.


It is a law in the State of Ohio that everyone must provide Proof of Insurance when asked by a law enforcement officer. If you did not provide proof to the officer at the time of your stop, you are required to bring proof to your court appearance.

  • Proof of insurance is required on the vehicle that you were driving on the date and time you were cited.

Failure to provide proof of insurance may result in your driver’s license being suspended through the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles.

Ticket Information
If you are not required to appear in court, you will find the amount you owe for your citation in the section below titled “Ticket Information”. If you have questions regarding your citation or do not find your violation code listed, please call the Clerk of Courts office the following business day to obtain information regarding your ticket.

If you are under 18 years of age, you must appear in Franklin County Juvenile Court with a parent. Call 614-462-5279 for information on juvenile tickets.

Pay Online
The amount you owe is due on or before the Court date noted at the bottom of your ticket. If paying by mail, sign the back of the ticket and enclose it with your payment. Checks or Money Orders are made payable to “The City of Upper Arlington.” Out of state checks are not accepted. Click here to pay online.

All traffic offenses except those listed below may be disposed of by a Traffic Violations Bureau. The following traffic offenses shall not be processed by a traffic violations bureau and the following criminal minor misdemeanor offenses shall require a court appearance:

  1. Indictable offenses;
  2. Operating a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or any drug of abuse;
  3. Leaving the scene of an accident;
  4. Driving while under suspension or revocation of a driver’s or commercial driver’s license;
  5. Driving without being licensed to drive when jail is a possible penalty;
  6. A third moving traffic offense within a twelve-month period when jail is a possible penalty;
  7. Failure to stop and remain standing upon meeting or overtaking a school bus stopped on the highway for purpose or receiving or discharging a school child;
  8. Willfully eluding or fleeing a law enforcement officer;
  9. Drag racing;
  10. Pedestrian under the influence;
  11. Resisting Enforcing Official;
  12. Displaying of Operator’s License;
  13. Disorderly conduct (minor misdemeanor);
  14. Violations involving damage to personal or real property or another person or entity where insurance is not provided or later determined to be invalid;
  15. Reckless Operation of a motor vehicle;
  16. A fourth moving violation within a twelve-month period regardless of penalty;
  17. Littering as the Operator or Occupant of a Motor Vehicle (prior Littering Offense);
  18. Text Messaging While Driving;
  19. Fail to Report a Crime (C.O. 515.06E);
  20. Animal at Large (C.O. 519.02);
  21. Animal – Nuisance (C.O. 519.04);
  22. Impound Fees (C.O. 519.03);
  23. Improper Sale/Transfer of Dangerous/Vicious Dog (C.O. 519.09D);
  24. Registration of Dogs (C.O. 519.12);
  25. Tags to be Worn (C.O. 519.13);
  26. Unlawful Confinement in a Motor Vehicle (C.O. 519.15);
  27. Fail to Verify Age Before Selling Cigarettes, Tobacco Products, E-Cigarettes or Liquid Nicotine (C.O. 531.08B2);
  28. Unlawful Disposal of Garbage;
  29. Unlawful Accumulation of Garbage;
  30. Scavenging;
  31. Violations of the Unified Development Code;
  32. Violations of the Building Code;
  33. Violations of the Property Maintenance Code.

If you fail to pay your fine on or before your Court date or appear in Court as scheduled, a warrant for your arrest may be issued and your license will be canceled through the Bureau of Motor Vehicles.


When trying to locate a traffic ticket, please only input the numbers provided. The letters “UA” should NOT be included at the beginning of the ticket number. When trying to locate a parking ticket, please include the letter “P” with the ticket number.

TO PAY YOUR TICKET: Once your ticket is found using the search box below, please click on the underlined case number to preview your ticket invoice. From there you will gain access to the payment portal.

Please note: Proof of insurance is required at the time of payment, if you did not provide it at the time of the stop. If paying over the weekend or after office hours, proof of insurance is required by 9 am the next business day. You can fax this to 614-442-4044 or email to

If you are paying online and the case is in “warrant status,” you must contact the Clerk of Court’s Office immediately at 614-583-5060 Monday through Friday, 8 am-5 pm excluding holidays to advise the payment has been made. If you are paying after hours, on the weekend or a holiday, you must contact the Upper Arlington Police Desk immediately at 614-583-5160 to advise the payment has been made.

Failure to advise the Clerk of Court’s Office and/or the Police Division of payment being made, will result in the warrant remaining active and therefore may result in your arrest.


discover mastercard visa american-express-2



Police Division (14)

In public parks, dogs must be on a leash from 8 am to 8 pm during Daylight Savings Time and 8 am to 5 pm during Eastern Standard Time. At all other hours, dogs must still be under control by the owner. Additional responsible pet ownership guidelines can be found by linking to our Animal Control page.

The Police Division has a Drug Take Back Box located in the Municipal Services Center. Visit the Police Division section of our website or call 614-583-5150 with questions.

Upper Arlington does not have an Animal Control officer. You can call the suggested numbers below for any issues.

  • Capital Area Humane Society: 614-777-7387
  • SCRAM! Wildlife Control: 614-763-0696
  • Visit Animal & Wildlife Control regarding animal Laws and Lost pets.
Categories: City, Police Division

The City does not accept applications for Policy Officer or Firefighter positions through our website. Both positions must first schedule a test with National Testing Network. The process to apply for Police Officer or Firefighter positions are detailed in each posting.

Contact the Police Division at 614-583-5150.

If the matter is a pending case, you need to file for discovery. If the matter is completed you may obtain a copy through our public records requests process with the City Clerk’s Office.

Safety Town is coordinated by the Police Division, in cooperation with the Fire Division and Parks & Recreation Department. Program details can be found in the Spring/Summer Parks & Recreation catalog or by visiting the Police Division – Support Services Bureau section of our website.

24 Hours. Motor vehicles parked on the street are a Police Division matter. Please call the Upper Arlington Police Division Non-Emergency number at 614-459-2800 to report.

For all City of Upper Arlington public record requests for Police or Mayor’s Court records, please visit Records Request – Police & Mayor’s Court on City Council – City Clerk web page. For Franklin County record requests you may visit or

Contact the Police Division at 614-583-5150.

It is always best to work out issues related to neighbors in a positive manner. If you have exhausted positive communication methods, the City has a mediation program that may assist.

You should contact the Police Division at 614-583-5150 and review their page for further information.

Beggar’s Night typically falls on October 31 each year, unless that date falls on the weekend. Beggar’s Night hours in UA are 6-8 pm. View our annual calendar of events for additional details of Beggar’s Night activities in Upper Arlington.

Categories: City, Police Division

You may call the Probation Officer with appointment and scheduling questions at 614-583-5022.

Load More



Speed - school zone353.05(B)(1)$165
Speed - less than 25 miles over limit/Assured Clear Distance353.05(A), 353.05(B)(2)–353.05(B)(9), 353.06–353.07, 351.12$125
No turn on red/Traffic control devices/Stop sign335.02, 335.04, 351.08$125
Turn violations, Lane violations351.01–351.07, 351.09–351.11, 351.13–351.16$115
Equipment Violations359.02–359.09, 359.11–359.19, 359.21–359.24$95
Expired Operators License less than 6 mos.355.01(A), 355.01(C)(1)$115
Starting & Backing/Fail to Yield351.17–351.24, 351.26–351.34, 351.36–351.37, 351.39–351.45$115
Fail to Control353.04$115
Text Messaging While Driving353.13$155
Dr. on Closed Highway/Brake Equip/Unsafe Veh/Secured Loads351.32, 359.20, 359.01, 361.08$115
Occupant Restraining Device (Seat Belt)359.25(B)(1)-Operator
$56 (O)
$46 (P)
Fail to Display Plates/Expired Plates355.08(A), 355.08(E)$105
If your violation code does not appear on the list, or you have been cited for more than one violation, please call 614-583-5060 between the hours of 8 am and 4:30 pm Monday–Friday. If not paid on or before the court date, add $20.00 to amount owed.

The City’s website is designed to provide 24/7 access to useful information about City departments, services, public meetings, special projects, events, legislation and more. If you are unable to find what you are looking for on this page or in our FAQ section, please complete the webform below. It will be directed straight to staff in the department listed above.

The City also offers a convenient means for residents to report issues such as potholes, broken streetlights, property maintenance issues and parks damage through our UA Click2Fix smartphone app, available from AppleApp or GooglePlay.

PLEASE NOTE: This is not an emergency reporting system. Requests are addressed during regular work hours of 8 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday. If you need to report an emergency situation, please call 9-1-1.

Back To Top